Wednesday, April 21, 2021

11 Chapter 11: Part 3 Fight for Your Right to Party

 I would like to thank Julie Demers for helping me develop the plot for Watson's party and the discoveries of Dawn Schafer.

Part 3: Fight For Your Right To Party

Dawn woke up with a start. What did all of it mean? She wasn't sure. But she had no time to think about it now. Tonight was Watson's party and there was a ton to do. 

She needed to go running to clear her head and Bart would be arriving any minute. Just as she was putting on her running shoes she heard Mona downstairs talking with Bart. She skipped down the stairs two at a time and they headed out the door 

"Are you excited about Watson's party?" Bart asked.

"Yes. I'm excited to finally see everyone all together."

"Are you ready for our camp kick-off? I've already got a couple of good stories. I was thinking Mal and Claudia doing that history stuff maybe could do a folklore night or something."

"Well in that case I have a few local stories we can add. There is one about Ben Brewer and Old Hickory, and..."

Dawn stopped. She saw in the neighbor's yard that said "Jenny Prezioso for Mayor".

" Looks like she decided to run."

"She announced it yesterday. If no one runs against her we won't have much of a Mayor. She is going to cut down my funding for the parks. As it is I only have Alan and Rick helping me with a couple of volunteers here and there. That's one guy per park. It's a lot of work." 

"Maybe we can get some more volunteers. We could ask some people from the Rainforest marathon!"

"That's a great idea, Dawn!"

They kept running and turned up onto the park grounds. By now they had established a routine route through the park around the corner and back again. It was also a good way for Bart to see what needed to be done for the day, any branches that needed clearing, and that sort of thing.

They had just crossed the bridge and continued a few feet past the path when Dawn stopped. She saw something glisten in the tree. The same tree she had seen Morbidda at. She reached into the nook and she couldn't believe her eyes at what she pulled out. It was a crystal ball but it was ruined. It reminded Dawn of the sea glass you can find on the shore after lightning  strikes the sand. And there was something else. Something that made Dawn very creeped out. It was a newspaper clipping of her from the day she and Bart had discovered the uranium in the park. 


That night everyone was dressed up for Watson's party. Outside there was a big buffet of food. In the garden they had set up tables for people to sit and eat. And there was a stage set up for Ben's band, The Junk Bucket, to play. There was a spot in front of the stage for people to dance and enjoy themselves.

It seemed the whole town had been invited. Dawn saw a lot of familiar faces, but had to have some of the BSC members help her figure out who they were. There were the Shillaber twins, Jeremy Rudolph, Cokie Mason, Grace Blume and so many others! Dawn was grateful when it was finally time to eat. Watson came out and took the stage and grabbed his microphone.

"Hello my friends and neighbors. I am happy to see so many of you have come to enjoy my party. I recognize that some of you have even traveled great distances to be here tonight. I would like to thank my family for helping me set up, especially my wife Elizabeth. 

You see we have been keeping part of the purpose for this party a secret. As a member of the Stoneybrook Historical Society and belonging to a family that has expanded generations of citizens of Stoneybrook, one of my deepest regrets is that I never took the time out to run for an office position in Stoneybrook. Sadly, I believe those years are behind me now, but rest assured that I didn't give up without finding you a suitable replacement. And that is what we are here to celebrate tonight! Ladies and gentlemen I would like to present to you Stoneybrook's new candidate running for office as Mayor, our very own, Pete Black!"

Jaws dropped all over the faces of the BSC members. Logan, who had been fairly close to him in school was especially surprised. But how? Last Logan had heard Pete Black had been a doctor in New York City. He wondered how he ended up back here and running for Mayor. 

Pete came up to the stage to make his speech: 

"Friends, neighbors, fellow citizens. I've known some of you for quite some time. Some so far back I bet you remember when I was President of the student body at SMS. I recently moved to a house in this neighborhood and came across my SMS letter sweater. Sadly, I couldn't fit into it" (the audience laughed). "I guess some things have changed. We have grown up now. Some with families. Some with businesses and jobs in Stoneybrook and some of us are still working on these things. Stoneybrook has changed. From our increase in crime, unemployment, drug use, and outdated policies. I began thinking. It's time for a change. It's time to make Stoneybrook even better than the one we grew up in. A place where my son and your children can have the kind of upbringing we did, but in a more modern time. My son loves football. He is looking towards trying out for the SHS football team this year in the fall. Some of you may remember me from my victorious touchdown against Mercer 20 years ago on the same field. I also came across my SHS letter sweater and guess what?" (Pete walked over to a speaker on the stage and took his letter sweater off it and put it on) "Perfect fit. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same. (Pete winked at the crowd) I will be available throughout the night for any questions or concerns you may have. There are also boxes with pens and paper at your tables to write things down in case I don't get to you tonight. Everyone enjoy your evening."

Someone from the crowd shouted, "That was pretty sneaky, Pete!"

And the crowd cheered and began chanting:

"Sneaky Pete! Sneaky Pete! Sneaky Pete!'




No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 28: Black Gold

 Chapter 28: Black Gold That night Dawn could not sleep. The stakeout raised more questions than answers. She couldn't put her finger on...