Tuesday, April 20, 2021

11 Chapter 11:Part 2 Dream a Little Dream

 I would like to thank Julie Demers for helping me with the dream  storyline and the magic. Pizza toast!

Part 2: Dream a Little Dream

...and at 1210 McLelland Road, Dawn Schafer was having a nightmare of epic proportions. It was the 1960s, Stoneybrook. 

She walked down the halls of SHS and stopped cold. She saw a much younger, teenage version of her mother wearing a navy blue shapeless shift dress with a drop waist and contrasting white cuffs and collars, and a pair of bright green emerald earrings. Her long blonde hair was teased at the top with a flip at the bottom. She had a couple of girls with her at her locker. She was talking to one of them.

"I don't care what they think. I'm going to let him take me to the Remember September Dance on the 15th."

"Oh, Sharon, I don't know what you see in him. His family is so poor he has been wearing that shirt since the 7th grade."

"Oh hush up! Here he comes."

And then Dawn saw who it was. It was Richard wearing brown slacks, a plaid button-down shirt, and a solid blue cardigan. He looked so young...and gorgeous! He walked up to Sharon.

"Hi, Sharon. I was sorta wondering if I could give you a ride home today."

"Gee, Richie, I'd love to!"

Dawn watched as they walked down the hall and out the door, discussing a recent speech JFK had given on the tv...

Then Dawn was in her grandparent's house, in her mom's old room getting ready for a dance with her friends. Richard and another guy showed up in a blue sports car. 

"Just pretend that Richie is your date until we get out the door. They won't care so  much if it is you."

"Ok Sharon, but you owe me. You know I called dibs on Richie at the pool when we were in the 8th grade and I am only doing this because we are related."

They got home later than curfew that night and their little stunt had not fooled Sharon's mother."Sharon, I don't want you going out with that Richard! Now, there are plenty of nice young men at the country club..."

"Stop calling him " that" Richard! And I will not go to that stuffy old country club full of dull boys that don't think for themselves!"

Then it switched to a time in the future, only a year or two later, Dawn had guessed Sharon was having a debutante party at the country club. She saw her mom's appearance had changed, her hair much longer. Sharon looked beautiful but unhappy. Until Richard showed up and looked radiant. They danced a beautiful dance and when it was over her mom pulled her aside. "Didn't I tell you not to invite him? Sharon, you are just throwing away your chances at marrying well. Well, I have news for you, young lady. Come hell or high water, I am getting you into that college at Berkley so you might as well kiss that Richard Spier goodbye!"

Dawn was shocked. But not as shocked as what happened next. The friend....or relative had this evil smile on her face and whispered to Sharon, "Remember, you owed me. And thanks for the Emerald earrings"...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 28: Black Gold

 Chapter 28: Black Gold That night Dawn could not sleep. The stakeout raised more questions than answers. She couldn't put her finger on...