Thursday, April 29, 2021

13 Chapter 13 Stoneybrook: Food for Thought

 I would like to thank Julie Demers for helping me with developing the character of Pete Black further than what had already been established by AMM.

Food for Thought

Dawn got ready for dinner with Pete. Mary Anne was hanging out in Dawn's room, watching her get ready and for moral support. Dawn was pumped up about all her causes and ready to jump into things.

Dawn put on an American flag shirt with a cold shoulder sleeve and bellbottom jeans with stars all over them. She put on some wooden peace sign earrings and a silver peace sign necklace.

"I can't believe you are going out with Pete tonight. It must feel pretty cool to go to dinner with a politician," Mary Anne said.

"I guess so, I mean, to me it's still Pete. He can just make a bigger difference than he could before."

"That makes sense. Just remember, Dawn, he IS running for mayor, and be mindful of things when you are hanging out with him. He is under a microscope now."

"Ok." Dawn wished Mary Anne would just leave the matter alone. Times were different than they used to be, and sometimes Mary Anne forgot that. Or she knew but chose to ignore it. The doorbell rang and she heard Logan answer the door.

"Pete! So glad you are back, man! You'll have to join us on the weekend for the kid's baseball practice."

"Sure Logan! My son is back at his mom's right now, but it won't hurt to get to know some of the neighborhood kids before he gets back."

"Sure. Come on over and after practice, the team is coming back here for food and to swim. You are welcome to join us."

"Thanks, Logan. I sure will."

Dawn came down the stairs and she and Pete left in his Jeep Wrangler.

"So how does it feel to be running for mayor?"

"I know it won't be easy. But I want to make it a good place for my son, and it feels fitting. It's something that I have always wanted to do."

"Well, I'm glad you are. I can't believe Jenny thinks she can get away with this. She is only doing it for clout. She doesn't care about Stoneybrook."

"Exactly. And I feel we need a candidate that does. I also feel that Stoneybrook could use an upgrade in some areas. I worry about my son fitting in, being from New York originally. I know Stoneybrook isn't always so accepting of outsiders. And I feel a lot of that is because people have lived here for so long, and they haven't been as exposed to other cultures as, say, a city like Stamford. Or California for that matter."

"True. I think that's one reason why I decided to move back to California in 8th grade. The BSC was always talking about me being such an individual. Maybe I was compared to other kids at SMS, but not according to bigger city standards."

They arrived at Cabbages and Kings. The waiter gave them their menus and they ordered.

"At least there is a vegetarian restaurant around here."

"Yeah so much had changed downtown though. They have a little club and bar district."

"I've never actually gone. I know Claudia is going to check it out though."

"Maybe we should join her one night. I feel I'm going to be a mayor I should check out every aspect of the town. Get to know the people a little better. That way I will know how to meet their needs and address their concerns."

"Well, that makes sense to me."

"I always admired that you noticed we didn't have a good recycling center here and you did something about it. At 13 years old!"

Dawn blushed. "Well, that reminds me. I'm no longer living here, but I am visiting for the summer. I won't be able to vote for you, but I will be willing to help you with any aspect of your campaign. There are a few things that do want to bring to your attention."

"What are the things?"

"Well for one if Jenny wins she is going to cut funding for Parks and Recreation. As of right now Bart only has himself, Alan Gray, and Rick Chow working for him. That's one guy per park. Plus, a few volunteers here and there. The other thing is the situation that Alan Gray is in. He owns the lighthouse and was operating it until the previous mayor decided to have it automated, pretty much without notice. He has been working for Bart to make ends meet, and he has probably been talking to Jenny about being reinstated. There is some grandfather clause that lets the city make decisions about the lighthouse and how it is operated."

"Wow. Well, I certainly want to help. Not just because Alan and Rick are my old friends, but that just isn't right. The parks are one of our main hubs for recreation and it keeps the kids out of trouble."

"Not only that, but it is important to preserve the natural environment around us."

"You are right!"

"Have you signed up for the Rainforest marathon?"

"Yes, I did. I think not only will it help raise money to preserve our ecosystem but it will also be a very good experience for the people of Stoneybrook. It will be a sense of community as well as a way to experience the town in a new way."

'I have been training for it in the park every day."

"I need to start training for it. I just have started getting settled in here. I used to be a doctor in New York but I am working in private practice with only a few patients since moving back. I have associated myself with Stoneybrook Hospital and I go over there once a week to communicate with them."

"It's amazing what you are doing."

Pete paid their bill. "Where to next? Dessert?"

"There is a smoothie shop around the corner."

So they got their smoothies and continued to walk around downtown. Dawn began to notice that everywhere they went people were saying hello or giving them high fives and stopping to chat. She was hoping it was a good sign that people would be voting for Pete. 

They passed a new Mexican restaurant with an open patio design and people dancing to music.

"Care to dance with me?" Pete asked.

"Sure!"

Pete grabbed her hand and they were out on the dance floor in a heartbeat...

Little did they know they were being followed. They were with them at the restaurant, the smoothie place, and now had followed them dancing. And they smiled to themselves feeling that their employer would be very pleased with what they had found out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 28: Black Gold

 Chapter 28: Black Gold That night Dawn could not sleep. The stakeout raised more questions than answers. She couldn't put her finger on...