Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Chapter 3 Stoneybook: It's a Mystery

 Dawn woke up early. She looked around the room. Mary Anne went to a lot of trouble to make her room very HER and she loved it. She got up and put her flimsy bathrobe on over her white camisole and tie-dyed harem pants and padded barefoot to the French doors and opened them. She walked over to the stone balcony and looked out over the property. The house was an absolute mansion. Down below her was the pool, the waterfall, and the jacuzzi surrounded by palm trees and flowers. She breathed in. At least the pollution wasn't as bad in Connecticut as it was in California. She was feeling good about being back, too. She reached the intercom by the door and Mona answered. " Can you bring me up some grapefruit, a bowl of blueberry Greek yogurt, and a strong cup of coffee?"

"I will be right up." A few minutes later Mona showed up with a serving table and silver platter.

"Oh, it looks delicious!" Said, Dawn. "You usually eat with the family don't you?" 

"Yes, I do. It's like they are my family and I just happen to work from home as the housekeeper. And I get to live here at the house and am quite comfortable."

"Would you like to eat with me this morning?"

"Thank you, Dawn, but I've got to get the pancakes and eggs started so I will just eat with them for today. I do want to spend some time and get to know you more while you are here."

" I want to get to know you too." And she hugged Mona.


A few hours later on the other side of the property, Logan's alarm started buzzing. He hit the snooze button. He glanced over at Mary Anne in the bed next to him. The previous night had been hot. White-hot. He was surprised that Mary Anne had worn that bikini, but it pleased him. Even though Mary Anne was free from Richard's strictness, sometimes his influence lingered on Mary Anne. Bit it seemed she was starting to become more free and outgoing all the time. He wrapped her up in a bear hug.

Mary Anne hugged him back but continued sleeping.

When the second buzzer sounded they both got up. Logan grabbed his clothes and put on his bathrobe and headed to the connecting bathroom.

Mary Anne got up and opened the doors to her walk-in closet and got the polo outfit out she had purchased yesterday. She tied the t-shirt in like Shannon had shown her. Looking at her reflection she liked the way she looked but felt her hair was kind of blah. She put it in a ponytail and went off downstairs.

" Mona don't forget we need to make something to bring the new neighbor. Do you want to come with us? The boys will be riding their bikes, but Shannon, Dawn, and I are walking."

"I believe I could use some fresh air. And I want to get to know Dawn more. She already had breakfast in her room this morning."

"Oh good! She's up! Mona will you take my tray up I will eat with Dawn. You can join us too.'

" I think I will wait for Logan."



Up went Mary Anne to Dawn's room. Dawn had showered and gotten dressed in her gray gym shorts and matching camisole that said California in neon on the front." I thought I would eat up here and we could talk. We usually take our lunch to the park on Sundays while the kids have baseball practice. Guess who their coach is, you are going to die!"

"Alan Gray?"

"nope!"

"Cary Retlin?'

" Wrong again!"

"Well, it can't be Kristy. OMG, it's Bart Taylor isn't it?"

"Yep! Surprise! He is also single and looking better than ever. He is the head of Stoneybrook's Park and Recreation. I figured I'd tell you since you like to go to the park."

"I'll put on some make-up then and then we can go downstairs. Shannon should be along soon and Mona is coming with us too."


Robert, Logan, and the kids raced their bikes up the street. Shannon, Dawn, and Mona lagged behind talking about Bart.

" I think he is running in the Stoneybrook 5K for the Rainforest coming up. Maybe you should sign up, Dawn. Or maybe we should all go it together."

"Yes I'm in!"

They stopped because they had reached the house. Logan and Robert had stopped with the kids to wait for them. Logan got the brown paper bag of food out of his backpack and handed it to Dawn. She rang the bell and stepped back. No one came to the door.

"I guess we will just eat this at the park and try again another day."

Disappointed and still wondering, they all headed to the park lost in their own thoughts of who could be living there. 

It's a mystery, Dawn thought and smiled to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 28: Black Gold

 Chapter 28: Black Gold That night Dawn could not sleep. The stakeout raised more questions than answers. She couldn't put her finger on...